Sunday, November 6, 2011

Day 1...

Here's where I am at now.  After a tough season and some health issues I've come a long way in the last 6 weeks.  After Ironman I started right down the same path.  I took the "What went wrong" and turned it into "Just work harder". That had me sidelined pretty quick with some nasty Achilles and planter fascia issues.  So instead of running I just drank beer ate wings and wallowed on the past.  I came home from work one day and checked to see when swim team started for the kids.  Sure enough it was the following week.  I figured I'd just get them involved and do whatever.  That's where it all starts.  The same week I went to a Sports physiologist about my foot.  He is certified in ASTYM and the work was so agonizing that the only thing I could do was swim it out.  Well my kids swim from 530-645 3x a week and I figured I could hop in an open lane.  I gave it a few tries and it turns out that I can get 3 swims in pretty easy.  After 2 weeks I was running a little and swimming alot.  After a month I'm down 11 lbs and feeling better.  Now this is where I got stung by 2 fireants sitting by a bonfire.  It took 2 weeks to get the fluid out and the sting areas still aren't healed.  That gets us up to speed...

It was recommended that I do a detox and try to flush all this crap out of my body that could theoryetically be causing a ton of my issues.  Today is Day 1.  It's a 10 day detox and I plan to do a daily update here.  The first day is just a restrictive diet as follows:

NO Refined sugars, Alcohol, HFCS, added sugars.
NO Caffeine
NO Artificial colorings or flavoring or sweeteners
NO Flesh foods...meat. 

We will see how this goes considering I already have a bad caffeine withdrawal headache.  The program also restricts activity.  30 min exercise 3x a week...  That's not going to happen. 

Lastly, the good news.  Signed up for the Potomac River Swim again.  I am training for that and other open waters next summer.  No Ironmans.  Just random half irons.  Natalie is now massaging full time and is working towards being the onsite therapist for all the local tri's.  She also now works for the Chiropractic office that does my ASTYM.  Since the kids are swimming and there is also a new kids tri team starting up my life is surrounded by this.  The intensity and the focus I had in 2008 is back with more force.  I let to many things get to me before.  It's about focusing on what makes you happy and everything else just seems to fall into place.

No comments: