Monday, July 12, 2010

That was tough...

Never, Never, NEVER ever ever call your shots in triathlon. I've said it a hundred times. Just don't do it. It's a sure fire way to wreck you're day. So what did I do? I called a completely reasonable time and and missed it by almost an hour. Yes, an HOUR! Yes I did an Ironman. I did it well. And somewhere along the way I thought I knew it all and I was above the simple rules of endurance racing. The following is going nail down everything I did wrong. I had 2 long hours to think about it as I was being humbled by this great sport.

Lets go back early April. I am at my weekly track workout pushing harder than I should. I knew this but, I'm invincible. I'm an Ironman. Suddenly with less than 40 meters before my cool down it felt like I got shot in the calf. With that torn muscle I began down a path that eventually lead to this very second. I rehabed my calf quickly and got right back to running. I kept my issues to myself and was running faster than I ever had before. I began to tell myself that I was so strong that not even a torn muscle was going hold me back. I began taking a day off at least once a week. In the past I took one day every 21 days or at the start of my rest weeks. Once positively negative aspect was that I was swimming more than ever. 25k on my easy weeks. My 100 splits were well below a minute and I was swimming 5:10's for a hard 500 a couple times a week. I was spending a lot of time in the pool. Too much. This time would be better spent on the bike. But hell, I'm an Ironman right.

Race weight last year was 162. This season I am 172. That's 10 lbs I shouldn't be carrying. It's not like I eat like crap. I just love candy and beer.

So here I was 5 weeks out from Rhode Island. I took a solid 2nd at he Potomac River Swim, I took 2nd at Clays park, I was just about to take 2nd at munroe falls. I walked into both tri's just wore out. Not really from training but, from staying up late and drinking at bachelor parties and weddings. I've been really stressed at work and a few beers at night would help me relax. Still, I'm an Ironman and kicking ass this year.

I made a promise to my wife that I wouldn't do an Ironman this year so that she could finish school. Well I seemed to lose myself as Iwas having a lot of trouble stepping back. Every time I would go out for a long training I would feel really guilty not being at home. Instead of looking for a balance I just hated myself and cut 9/10 workouts short. My longest bike in the last 2 months was 55 miles after the Potomac. So that explains the massive leg cramps on the bike.

Looking at the week leading into the race. This is where I made so many mistakes. 9 days out from race day I stopped to say goodbye to my aunt at Wing Warehouse. Well, I opened the flood gates. I had a few beers there and then grabbed a 12 on the way home. I drank them all that night. I know why too. I knew I was unprepared for RI. I needed and excuse and was looking for a way out. I was taking terrible risks on the bike while training, I was running sub-6 as much as I could. I just couldn't get hurt . I was too rested.

Now there's all the mental crap. Let me break down the rest of the week. I went into Friday with the weight of the world on my shoulders. I know, Big troubles huh? I do have a lot of other stuff going on right now besides tri. That was definitely taking from my focus. We got at 430 friday morning and sat in the car for 12 hours. When I got into town my legs were cinder blocks. I tossed and turned all night too. I new it was coming. Saturday I got up early and went to the expo and like a pit bull I sized up every athlete to a point I had to leave. I proceeded to spend the entire day on my feet and even skip lunch. Don't worry, I made up for the missed calories with fatty cheese bread and gummybears.

Race day. I get to start. I am warmed up but not really at all. There are so many things that I usually go over a 1000 times before a race. I never really checked my bike. Is my aero helmet snug? I didn't even plan my nutrition. I talked about it because i know everything. Hell, I'm an Ironman. I listen to nobody. I have 700-900 calories sitting on my bike and 20 oz H2O. I didn't know how to use it. The swim was off and I flat out crushed it. My heart rate hit 145 maybe once. 1st out of the water 12th overall. I'm on the bike. I started to push early. Last years splits were up over 24 and I wanted to beat that. 21mph was with everything I had. There was a mild headwind, just enough to piss you you off. I was passing pro's and although my average was low I was holding on. One problem. I wasn't eating right and...I was stuck in the big ring. I used a set of Bontrager for this race and the gearing was a little different too. I didn't get passed until mile 48. It only happened because my gracilis was cramping. Both sides. Possibly because I'm not fit well. Oh, and I'm under trained on the bike. I came into transition and I'm not kidding when I say only 15 bikes were there. It took me 2:40 to ride 56 miles. 25 minutes more than I planned. The bike course was a challenge. I was off and running. My legs felt good but my mouth was dry. I knew I needed water. I took a total of 60 oz on the bike. That's a lot so this felt odd. Mile 1 was 6:50. I went out long and easy and felt great. I then turned a corner and standing in front of me was a wall. I ran the first half and began cramping in my right hamstring. I split mile 2 in 7:15. Miles 3 and 4 were 7:20's. That there was the end of my race. The next 9 miles was hell. I walked every aid station and drank 2-3 cups of water.

Hell. With every step I fought off cramps. My feet were on fire, blisters were forming and breaking. I think my teeth were sweating. My thermostat was way red. I stopped sweating and I was covered in goosebumps. I couldn't cool down. Go figure, fat boy was retaining heat. I had nothing except 2 hours to think of everything i did wrong. To aid in my penance I couldn't breathe. My back ad chest began to cramp. I was starting to throw up my water. I was getting dizzy. 50 yr old woman were running me down and I am staggering through aid stations...I was shivering but on fire. This was the worst day of my triathlon life.

I will write what i learned later this week.

No comments: