Thursday, June 24, 2010

Sorting it all out

A quickie update here. So far the past month my training has been rather unfocused and I forsee that the rest of the summer. We are just killer busy. I get out on the bike twice a week for about 100 miles total. I’ve been spending about 3-4 hours in the pool with a horribly painful elbow and my run is mediocre at best. I raced Clays Park 2 weeks ago and just slowed up real good on my feet. Timewisw I am looking at around 14-15 hours a week. Seems like enough I suppose. Maybe I feel this way because I’m not trainign for Ironman so it just seem s like I’m not training that much. I don’t know. Plus I’ve been having all sorts of equipment issues and no money to fix them. I may be switching back over to my road back, I think I have a hairline crack on my Leader. That will really suck. Work is super busy. I have people here who are dead set on forcing me to work extra hours and weekends…I’ll quit before I skip a big event to push paper. Frustrating.

Beyond all that. I seem to be running faster, biking faster, and swimming faster than ever before. I have no idea why. So in 3 weeks when I finish Amica 70.3 I will get in line at 1pm and sign up for IMLP for 2011. I won’t be doing another IM for awhile so I think this is a good one just in case it’s my last. Support has dropped off pretty hard so getting the miles in will be tough. Triathlon is just irritating to other people but, that has been view from the inside for some time. Just now it seems like all I get is “ ya, ya, go ride your bike. Hurry up so you can be done” Well that eats at you. Makes it hard to motivate when you know there’s other things that should be getting done like mowing the lawn or weeding the stupid flower beds.

So you see, this year is offering some new challenges. My performance is expected but, the time I need is resented I think. In all honesty, IM last August came pretty easy. I only suffered for about 90 minutes. The reason for that…preparation. I just need to get back to that mindset.

_________________________________________________________________


I wrote this yesterday to post today. After a re-read I am thinking that this “off” feeling is for a reason. I am not doing Ironman this year. I am probably training just fine for a half. I’m just afraid to look. This year was dedicated as an “easy” year. I made that decision in August of 2008 when I got the family onboard for IMKY. I wanted to give Natalie time to concentrate on school and I wanted to get the kids involved in a managable sport. So far that’s a sucsess. So maybe everything is fine? Maybe once I sign up for another IM I will regain that relentless focus that took me to a 10 hr race last year. Funny how trying not to burn out is burning me out. It will be interesting how all this plays out.

No comments: