Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ask and You Shall Recieve

So I keep hearing “You need to blog”. Really? I don’t think I’m that interesting of a blogger. Actually I think I do it just to hear myself talk. I’m not even sure what I have done since my last blog. Maybe I just can’t remember. So here it goes, I’ll just throw it all out there. Here is how I am feeling and doing.

I finished my 2010 season with great disappointment. I met none of my goals and I slipped deep into the ranks of the common age grouper. I received a letter from USAT 6 weeks ago congratulating me on All-American HM for 2009 with a ranking of 250 something. I was ashamed to see. I truly did not live up to it in 2010. I swam well but, I didn’t do anything special on the bike or run. I never really took hold of that fire I had my first 2 yrs in tri. You know, the obsessive Type A that sickens a non-triathlete to even be in my presence. I had gained 15 lbs, some muscle but mostly fat. I never lost it. My self image was poor. My performance showed it. Well that was 2010. I’ve packed up all my awards…I even blew some up as part of an 8 day bender I was on. I wanted all of it gone. I wanted to start over. I still keep the Rhode Island Medal above my bed. A reminder.

In the past 6 weeks some really positive things have happened. I gave up on racing for awhile. I ran a lot, became marathon trained and was ready to PR at Akron Marathon. Being low on funds and little self conscience of my doughier image I decided to hang it up one morning and sleep it off. This is not a bad thing. I went back to everything that was bad for me in the past. Beer, chemicals, shitty food, no sleep, just plain out not caring. It didn’t take long for me realize that guy was gone. Sure, I’ll still get shitfaced on occasion and ride aero naked with a water bottle…well never mind. In the time I spent goofing off I began a relationship with Planet X bikes. Who says speed isn’t in the bike. Hell, I rode my Leader at 23mph average, I hopped on the Planet X and held over 30 on straight and upped my average to 26. Holy Crap!!! I furthered my good fortune by picking up a sponsorship from FLUID nutrition. This is great for me because they are great people over there and their product is strictly for recovery. With my tendency to over train this is perfect. One of my main selling points with this company was that when I asked if they could get involved in local MS fundraising stuff they were actually excited about it. This is something near and dear to a good friend of mine and I was happy I could pull some support for his cause. Oh, and the product is bad ass and works really well for me.

What else???

I’ve put my Ironman Lake Placid training plan together…mostly. I have the last 5 weeks and the first 8 weeks done. A 44 week training plan. WHAT???!!! 44 WEEKS? Ok, it’s like this…I am taking the first 8 weeks (currently my off season) to stabilize and reel in proper nutrition for the physical training season. Sure I’m still running, pretty hard at time. I mean, You don’t want to let your sports car rust in the garage right? Take it out and do some hole shots! Just don’t break it. I am doing a lot of research. I can’t afford a coach and my past Ironman training brought me a 10:09 so I had something right…but, what was it? I’m figuring that out right now and I’m learning a ridiculous amount of new stuff. For example, no mater how hard I train in the pool, the most it will get me is 7 minutes. If I don’t get in the pool until January I bet I still drop a 52 min swim. That may even be the plan.

Now let me get all tri-dramatic.

It’s back. I feel it. Every second of the day. Every minute of my sleep. I wake up thinking Placid. I go to bed thinking Placid. I catch Natalie changing I think…where the kids, lock the door. Hahaha. Then 2 minutes later I think Placid. I’ve warned everyone. I said when the fire gets burning it will be hotter and more intense than ever. Stand back or get burned…ug, gay. But I don’t care, 90% of the time it takes a short motivational quote to get my ass moving. That’s all. So Shake and Bake!!! My world is so stressful right now with other things in the happenings. Work, Life, Family. Whenever I hit rock bottom all I do is think placid. I’d rather fight the urge to go faster than fight myself to go at all. This is probably it for me so IT is going to count.

See you in 10lbs.

No comments: